I joined Hatmill in early 2014 after previously working in process improvement and as a logistics operations manager. One of the attractions of my role is that it allows me to engage with our clients to provide tailored solutions that deliver results, rather than an ‘off the shelf’ approach.
As an experienced Process Improvement Manager I practice to Six Sigma Black Belt level. There’s no doubt my northern roots drive my passion to eliminate unnecessary spend in an operation! A recent project has seen me undertaking a diagnostic for the inbound and outbound logistics operations of a food manufacturer, resulting in the identification of savings and process improvements which should deliver over £800k of benefit to the client.
Communication is key to my role. My strength is encompassing all people from senior management through to the people engaged in the critical day-to-day roles where much can be learnt about the grass root challenges companies face. I love analysing the resultant data which helps me to develop the best solutions for our clients.
My previous consulting experience includes:
- The introduction of a Six Sigma Development programme into a leading distribution company. I delivered savings to the business in excess of £2 million.
- The introduction of Voice Pick Technology to a client encountering significant quality issues. This has seen the company save over £500k per annum as well as reduced errors to less than 0.1%.
- The implementation of Performance Management and Control in a Reverse Logistics Department. This yielded savings amounting to 30% (£600k) of the department’s annual budget. These results were achieved through a series of initiatives including introduction of 2 automated packaging machines, revising the process through industrial engineering analysis and reducing double handling by 50%.
- The introduction of logistical thinking to a water utility client. This work has saved over £6m through leaner performance and contract re-negotiation returning the client work bank to a profitable position.
- I also have extensive experience of managing logistics operations for leading high street retailers.
Alongside all of this I spent over 6 years as a Director of a narrowboat holiday company, Canal Boat Escapes. Our awards included being the first narrowboat holiday company to be accredited with the Green Tourism Business Scheme Silver Award!
I’m married to the other Director of Canal Boat Escapes, Karen, so there’s no getting away from being worked very hard! We have two lively and lovely children, Isabel and Edward.