I joined Hatmill in 2015. I bring with me nearly 30 years’ experience gained in a high volume distribution business, Andrew Page Ltd, where I led IT and business systems, the last 10 years of which I was on the board. Throughout my career I’ve enjoyed working to improve systems and processes. In particular I enjoy engaging with people at all levels to understand what problems they face or opportunities they’ve identified, and delivering those step changes which help to make a business more efficient and to add value to the bottom line.
At Andrew Page I gained a wide experience implementing systems and improvement across all aspect of the business, but inevitably there was much emphasis on the supply chain, stock holding, stock forecasting and logistics. Of course Andrew Page operated in a highly competitive marketplace, so the analysis of sales, lost opportunities and operational efficiency was also key. Andrew Page Ltd grew considerably in the time I was there, I feel it was a really valuable experience being part of a management team that took the business from 5 depots to 120 and which faced the challenge of extending the business beyond its traditional Yorkshire heartland and taking it nationwide.
I first encountered Simon when we worked closely together when Hatmill helped Andrew Page Ltd to draw up and deliver a supply chain strategy including the implementation of a new National Distribution Centre. I enjoyed being part of the project immensely, and I’ve always enjoyed an interesting variety of work, so when I came to consider how I’d like my career to progress consultancy appealed to me.
Highlights of my career at Andrew Page and some of the larger projects delivered are :
- Being part of the management team that steered the business through a 25 times increase in turnover.
- Taking the business from 5 to 120 depots.
- Moving beyond Yorkshire and taking the business nationwide.
- The business was extremely IT dependent, delivering 25,000 invoices a day, mostly within the hour. This was a pressurised environment.
- Leading the systems integration of two acquired businesses.
- In one case bringing 21 depots “on system” in less than five days.
- Being a key part of the supply chain and logistics team.
- Including the implementation of the National Distribution Centre.
- Delivering strong processes to redistribute overstock around the group.
- Implementing EDI throughout the entire supply chain process – negating the need to add administrative headcount into the business.
- Helping to deliver a highly complex stock forecasting system.
- Leading the implementation of an ERP system to cover finance and other operations within the business.
- Providing the vision and the leadership for the business to implement visual analytics throughout all departments, providing highly accessible, flexible reporting and actionable data – something which has revolutionised the way the business operates.
- Implementing e-commerce sales channels, including the integration of highly complex Amazon processes.
- Building and leading a great IT team of infrastructure and support specialists and a team of software developers.
All of the projects involved being part of a team – I’m a strong believer in the team ethic and working with people to gain buy in, ownership and delivering a result together, whilst also bringing my experience and creative problem solving to bear. Perhaps this team ethos comes from 25 years of putting my team mates before my body and my face on the rugby field….