I’m Stuart Nelson and I joined Hatmill in June 2015 to help clients address their procurement challenges. I have over fifteen years of procurement experience in retail, financial services and consulting.
I started my career as a Supply Chain Manager with The Boots Company. I held a number of positions across the organisation gaining a strong grounding in all areas of supply chain management from supply chain strategy to inventory management to distribution and warehousing before moving into procurement.
My interest in procurement began with an understanding of how much value the function can deliver to an organisation; not just to the bottom line but to the top line too. Working with the right suppliers in the right way can help your business to grow at the same time as keeping costs down. I enjoy the challenge of convincing internal stakeholders of the value procurement can bring.
I have held various procurement positions across industry and consulting ranging from Product Buyer to Procurement Consultant to Category Manager to Head of Procurement. Some examples of results delivered include:
- Creation of a greenfield procurement function for newly acquired subsidiary
- Implementation of a Procure-To-Pay technology solution covering the purchases of multiple sites
- Establishment of Financial Loss team, identifying and preventing £10m of supply chain leakage
- Implementation of Supplier Relationship Management frameworks for both direct and indirect spends
- Implemented, for a national development agency a centralised procurement function to buy on behalf of 12 local economic agencies
- Delivered a procurement review and remedial action plan for a UK NHS hospital trust identifying and delivering savings in excess of £5m
- Managed a £10m property and facilities tender in accordance with EU Procurement Directives for a UK university, sourced via an eAuction
- Audited all procurement processes for UK nuclear operating and decommissioning organisation, to ensure regulatory approval
I have successfully completed graduate diplomas for both the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS) and the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT).