A leading UK value retailer required a redesigned network strategy to support the rapid growth of the business. Hatmill were brought in to help the client redesign their distribution strategy by modelling various scenarios to develop a robust business case, prior to project managing the design and build of the chosen Distribution Centre.
The result: a new 500,000 sq. ft. DC capable of supporting the rapidly growing operation.
When Hatmill engaged with the client, they were facing capacity issues at their primary DC, using two overflow warehouses as interim operational facilities and desperately needed a solution to support the rapid growth of the business for the next 5 years.
- A growth rate of 50-70 additional stores per year required the distribution infrastructure to be scalable
- The client had reached capacity at their existing site, and as a result productivity was below industry standard
- In addition to their primary DC, the client was operating out of two additional sites whose leases were due to expire prior to the completion of the new DC
- Whilst the new site was being built; the client needed a solution for their peak operation requirements during their highest volume period of the year
In order to help the client, achieve their supply chain goals we:
- Modelled several potential solutions to the client’s capacity issues
- Facilitated the consolidation of the two additional supporting operational sites into one 3PL solution
- Project managed the design, build and fit-out of a 500,000 sq. ft. warehouse
- Enabled the client to manage a peak relief operation out of the new warehouse whilst the fit-out was taking place