A leading asset management firm required an in depth review of their transport operation with the objective of reducing their total logistics spend.
The solution: Hatmill identified several opportunities to improve the client’s transport operation resulting in a significant reduction in costs and an improvement in service.
Hatmill were asked to help the client reduce their logistics spend through examining and improving their transport operation.
The client was facing challenges such as:
- A high number of inter depot transfers which required excessive investment
- Poor visibility of future demand which led to reactive supply chain planning
- A dysfunctional link between transport planning and fulfilment location which led to repetitive deliveries
In order to help the client, we:
- Performed a high level review of the processes from customer order through to the return of the hired items
- Provided analysis of existing stocking policies to identify stockholding reduction opportunities
- Provided analysis to support a in house vs. outsourced transport decision
- Compared existing 3rd party storage hauliers to industry benchmark data to identify saving opportunities
After identifying potential areas for improvement, we then set up the structure and governance of the project to support the client in implementing the changes.